Becker Patrol Pack and Ruger GS Scout

Becker Patrol Pack and Ruger GS Scout

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A day in the life...

  All winter long I cut and split firewood to augment the heat in my house. It really is a labor of love. It gives me a chance to get to the woods. Even though I am working my butt off it is very relaxing. Yesterday I got to thinking how much gear I use out there. So I thought that I would post them up in action. This is how I form my opinions on gear, using it.

  First up, my base layer is Columbia Omnidry. I have several of the long sleeve shirts in different weights. I started splitting wood with a hat and a light weight fleece jacket. The temp was in the low 20's, After the first few minutes I was sweating. So, I ended up wearing just the wicking layer the rest of the afternoon.




  Whenever I head out I always try to bring water with. I hate being dehydrated. For several months I have been carrying the Heavy Cover Ti canteen. Love it. I am pretty sure it will end up being the next review I do.



  Because I an using a chainsaw and splitting maul, I always wear eye pro. Since I have been teaching at 88 Tactical, I have been wearing ESS glasses.



  I always try to build a fire when I am in the woods. I feel that firecraft is one of the most important skills that an outdoors person can have. So I try to stay in practice. I am always trying new things to produce the results that I deem acceptable. If you saw the post of the knife I got the other day you know what is coming up next. A little knife work.



  To light these shavings was the magnesium firesteel combo.



  Once the Osage fire was rolling, I decided a little spot of tea would be great. Enter the Ti canteen cup. Gonna have to get some oven cleaner to clean this thing up.



  The fruits of my labor. Honey Locust, Hackberry, and Burr Oak. All of this wood kicks out some serious BTU's.



  Of course I had some helpers.



  This is just a taste of how I use my gear. Lots more to come in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment